Samurai Girls Synopsis:
The story takes place in Japan in the early 21st century, in an alternate reality where the Tokugawa Shogunate has remained in power. In this reality, student councils are tasked with oppressing schools. Yagyuu Muneakira is a high school student who rebels against his student council with the help of girls who’ve had the names of famous samurai heroes passed on to them.
Samurai Girls Story:
The series takes place in an alternate version of Japan called Great Japan, in an alternate timeline where theTokugawa shogunate remained active and has remained isolated from the rest of the world. The story takes place at Buou Academic School, an academy located at the base of Mount Fuji where children of military families train to become samurai warriors. The academy is in the middle of a power struggle between Yukimura Sanada and Matabei Goto of the Toyotomi faction and the powerful student council that rules the school, and Muneakira Yagyu, the owner of the Yagyu Dojo, and the mysterious Jubei Yagyu are dragged in the middle of the conflict. The series features famous historical figures from Japan’s Sengoku period and early Edo period. The character Charles d’Artagnan also comes from the same age in Europe.
Samurai Girls Characters:
- Muneakira Yagyu – Voiced by: Daisuke Hirakawa (Japanese), Ben Wabal (English)
- The protagonist of the series and a childhood friend of Sen. He has a hitherto unknown power to create Master Samurai, first manifested when he kissed a naked girl who fell from the sky.
- Jubei Yagyu – Voiced by: Aoi Yūki (Japanese), Marie LeBlanc (English)
- Muneakira’s first Master Samurai, with the contractual mark on her chest. She also has a power level of five million when she transforms according to Hattori and bears amber eyes with vertical slits, but in this state she has shown a sadistic side, yet she is an honorable warrior who gives respect to those whom have earned it. In her normal form however, she has no memories of her former life and has an obsession with Muneakira, whom she refers to as “onii-chan” (big brother) due to the fact that they share the same surname. She is also airheaded, innocent, and acts very much like a child, which is reinforced by the fact that she refers to herself in third-person. Her weapon is a daishō set, with the katana unusually colored. Her transformation phrase is currently unknown, instead she transforms every time she kisses Muneakira. However for the duration of her transformation, Muneakira is bound from moving by mysterious chains.
- Yukimura Sanada – Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya (Japanese), Mina Jetoi (English)
- A 15 year-old student in the middle school section and the leader of the Toyotomi faction. She is Muneakira’s second Master Samurai, with the mark of wisdom on her left butt cheek. Her weapons are a pair of huge battle fans capable of manipulating wind and can also use them to block enemy attacks. However, she has shown no control whatsoever over her powers when she is in her Master Samurai state, though she improves as the series progresses. She also seems to have feelings for Muneakira. Her transformation phrase is “Fushaku Shinmyo“, which means “Self-sacrificing Dedication”. Jubei’s nickname for Yukimura is “Yukki”.
- Matabei Goto – Voiced by: Yū Kobayashi (Japanese), Eileen Dover (English)
- Yukimura’s bodyguard and loyal samurai. Her weapon is a yari and can also use a small tantō that she dons as a hair accessory. She seems to have a weakness for hot baths, such as the case when she eagerly went to one as “punishment” from Hanzo, only to be stopped by Yukimura. Jubei’s nickname for Matabei is “Beta-san”.
- Kanetsugu Naoe – Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki (Japanese), Vestal Vee (English)
- Kanetsugu is the self-proclaimed “warrior of love” and a childhood friend of Yukimura. She was fully humiliated by Yukimura at a young age and still carries a grudge against her, and was sent by Sen’s brother Yoshihiko to spy on Sen and Yukimura’s actions. Her speech pattern is notable as she uses keigo. Her weapon is a decorated sledgehammer capable of knocking heavy gates and create fissures when slammed down to the ground. Jubei’s nicknames for Kanetsugu are “Gutsugutsu” , “Gucchan” , and “Gucchorinado” . Kanetsugu’s appearance oddly resembles that of Vocaloid Hatsune Miku. Her favorite food is leek, also like Miku.
- Sen Tokugawa – Voiced by: Minako Kotobuki (Japanese), Tabitha Hickey (English)
- Muneakira’s childhood friend and the eldest daughter of the Tokugawa Shogunate. She seems to have feelings for Muneakira, and acts very much like a tsundere towards him. She is a self-proclaimed spoiled princess and always seeks to get her way regarding any decision she wants to make. She gets extremely jealous of any girl who tries to get close to Muneakira, and generally acts upon this jealousy by flying into a rage, like when Jubei kissed him in front of her and later had him wear a full oni helmet so he could “reflect” at what the kiss he shared with Yukimura. Later, she reveals her true feelings to Muneakira and kisses him, thus becoming his third Master Samurai. Her weapon is a naginata decorated near the blade, and her transformation phrase is “Tenga Ryūrei“, which means “Elegant Beauty”. Sen’s attacks usually revolve around thunder or lightning.
- Hanzo Hattori – Voiced by: Saori Gotō (Japanese), Ophelia Cox (English)
- Sen’s servant and head of the Student Council police, wearing a maid’s outfit and glasses. It is hinted that she has deeper feelings for Sen and may be a masochist longing for her abuses. Her weapon is a double-bladed pole that can split into two individual katana, and she can shoot a number of shuriken, kunai or any throwable material under her skirt. Her glasses allow her to detect an individual’s power level and also see through any man made materials.
- Sasuke – Yukimura’s pet monkey.
The Toyotomi faction is a faction of the Academy dedicated to overthrow the Tokugawa shogunate and bring a new era to Great Japan. Yukimura and Matabei are also members of this faction.
- Katsunaga Mori
- Motochika Chosokabe
- Takenori Akashi
Buou Student Council
- Yoshihiko Tokugawa – Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese), Ivan Shtenhart (English)
- Sen’s older brother, president of the Student Council, and head of the Tokugawa Shogunate. He believes that he is doing the best for his country, while in reality he is a ruthless tyrant with a tendency to use and discard people, including his own sister. Yoshihiko had a brief relationship with Charles d’Artagnan until he used her in one of his experiments to create Master Samurai by artificial means. He had also used other girls in his experiments as well (who are, in fact, descendants of former Master Samurai in their lineage), planning to create an army of Master Samurai since there are very few in existence. In the anime, after realizing his feelings for d’Artagnan after she sacrifices herself to save him, he revives her by making a Master Samurai contract with her, and later teams up with Muneakira to defeat Gisen.
- Gisen Yagyu – Voiced by: Kaoru Mizuhara (Japanese), Teresa Krowd (English)
- Gisen is a young girl sporting an eyepatch over her right eye that falls naked from the sky into Muneakira’s arms, much like Jubei. She is initially friendly in her first appearances, but is shown to be very perverse when around Muneakira (whom she refers to as “Master”), wanting to “tuck in” his body parts (implying to be sexual intercourse), the reason being is that she thinks that the relationship between a general and a samurai is similar to that of a master and slave. Jubei nickname for Gisen is “Gittan”, and Gisen refers to Jubei as “onee-sama” (big sister).
- Charles d’Artagnan – Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu (Japanese), Lisa Weiback (English)
- Nicknamed Nia by Yoshihiko, d’Artagnan is a tall blonde woman from France who transferred to Buou Academy. She met Yoshihiko while she was doing oragami, and developed a romantic relationship with him. However, she was betrayed when Yoshihiko used her as a test subject to create Master Samurai by artificial means. Despite all of what has happened to her, she still bears feelings towards Yoshihiko, which was justified in the anime when she dies protecting Yoshihiko from some falling rubble while holding an origami of a samurai’s helmet that was given to her by Yoshihiko in the past. She was later revived by Yoshihiko, having realized her true feelings, and becomes a true Master Samurai with the concentural mark on her left hand.
- Takamori Matsudaira
- Hatamoto Student Council
The Hatamoto Student Council is a faction of Buou Academy’s Student Council serving directly under Yoshihiko.
- Masamune Date
- Kojuro Katakura
- Takatora Todo
- Naotaka Ii
- Tadaoki Hozokawa
The Anti-Tokugawa Faction is a faction led by Shiro Amakusa. Their main purpose remains unknown.
- Shiro Amakusa
- Shosetsu Yui
- Musashi Miyamoto
- Kojiro Sasaki
- Mataemon Araki
- Injun Hozoin
Samurai Girls Images: